With the mission of supporting emerging, or under-recognized mid-career contemporary artists, the Danforth Gallery is committed to showing a wide range of thought-provoking new work in a variety of styles and mediums. From February through December the Danforth curates invitational shows and open group exhibitions.
STYLE AND GENRE
We seek contemporary, fine art in all mediums (glass, stone, ceramic, wood, charcoal, paint, ink, mixed media, photography, video), and all dimensions, so long as it can fit through our door. We do not exhibit artwork that is in classical, Western, or wildlife traditions, although wildlife and Western subject matter depicted in a non-classical manner is considered.
The gallery space, located at 106 North Main Street, is in a 1891 brick building with oak floors and natural and gallery light. The unobstructed exhibition room in the front of the building has approximately 900 (plus) square feet of floor space with 130-inch high walls. Door dimensions: 79 ½ by 40 inches.
All work exhibited in the Danforth is for sale. The gallery retains 40% and gives 60% to the artist. We pay artists within 30 days of their show. Shows are marketed regionally in print, on the radio, on the web, and through social networking. All work is insured once it’s within the walls of the Danforth Gallery, but not while being shipped. Artists are responsible for all shipping costs to and from the Gallery. This includes the cost of any shipping insurance the artist requires.
Please clearly name the title of the show to which you are submitting work in the subject line of your email. If you do not feel that your work fits into any of the open shows in our exhibits schedule (posted in the drop down menu under “Open Calls for Art”, then you may submit it for consideration in the yet undefined upcoming exhibit year- please put “GENERAL SUBMISSION” in the title line. At the discretion of the curators, artwork that does not fit into one of the open shows may be considered for inclusion in a juried exhibit or a future show.
If you design a product or have artwork that would be a good fit for our Back Room Store, please send us an email with several jpeg images and a description of your work. The goal of the Back Room Store is to offer an interesting selection of well designed items that fall within an affordable, gift giving price-point.
DEADLINES & DETAILS
The P.C.F.A. Exhibition Committee determines the upcoming season’s exhibition line-up the fall/winter prior to that season (i.e- the 2015 spring, summer and fall season is determined in November & December 2014.) The exhibitions are selected upon the jurisdiction of the committee, and include a combination of curated and open call shows.
-Specific deadlines and details are announced via our website Blog (click “Blog” from the homepage of the website,) our Facebook page (click the Facebook icon on the homepage to follow our FB page) and our email newsletter (sign up via the homepage in the scroll box in the upper right hand corner and click submit.)
We do not accept post mail submissions. All submissions must be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please send digital images of at least eight (6) but no more than twelve (12) examples of your most recent work. By most recent we mean that work is no older than 24 months. Please do not e-mail digital files larger than 1 MB. Thank you.
- Label digital images by title, or number, then include in your e-mail a descriptive list that corresponds to each digital image. This list must contain the title, medium, price, and size of each piece of art. Submissions without complete listings will not be considered.
- Please send your up-to-date resume/curriculum vitae and an/or artist statement of 150 words or less. These may be included in the body text of your e-mail, or attached as PDF, txt, or Word documents.
- List any special requirements for hanging or displaying your work.
- Please include your name, mailing address, and phone number in the e-mail message.